Skip to main content

A SPECIAL LABOR DAY - THE ROAD HERE

WHY THIS LABOR DAY IS SPECIAL
This Labor Day is special to me because I switched from a job with good pay and benefits to a job with no pay, but amazing benefits. I became a temporary babysitter to my granddaughter Paisley. This job change happened because my daughter Kirsten is starting her last year of college, my Marine son-in-law Ray is getting deployed, and they have a 5-month-old baby girl Paisley. If you are a praying person, please pray for all of us!
THE DECISION
This decision wasn’t easy. There were many things to consider. How will my husband and I handle being apart for 8-½ months? When will I get to see my son who is in college, formerly an hour-and-a- half away but now 12 hours away? Will I be able to handle the challenges of helping raise a newborn after a 20-year break? How many times will I need to be reminded that I am the grandma, not the mom, my daughter is in charge, and I am the helper? How will we manage financially now that I’m not working for pay? We decided as a family that the rewards outweigh the concerns, and I’m ready, albeit nervous, to start my new journey.
THE ROAD HERE
My husband drove me and 8-½ month’s worth of necessities in my car for two days in horrendous Labor Day weekend traffic to my temporary home so I can have my car here. He’ll fly back tomorrow. So far so good! I’m bonding with Paisley, so when Kirsten goes back to school tomorrow, Paisley will be familiar with me. Paisley’s toothless smiles and laughs absolutely melt my heart. Ray has tomorrow off, so Paisley won’t have to have both parents gone all day. We’ll see how tomorrow goes!

Comments